January 2019 Update
1. How to Get Involved
- Check out the training videos and education modules on the Knowledge and Training Portal here.
- You can submit publications to be included in the Newsroom (see more below).
- In addition, please join our two global WhatsApp groups. Let’s stay in touch and discuss relevant issues and events!
- WhatsApp: CYG_Social -- https://chat.whatsapp.com/8Z14CIOvuI83r4xFbn1Kla
- WhatsApp: CYG_Official -- https://chat.whatsapp.com/5Z5YJyUpll3DYPKEBfFZr5
- Facebook Page — https://www.facebook.com/youth.ctbt/
- Facebook Group — https://www.facebook.com/groups/899890040154216/
- Twitter — Follow @Youth4CTBT and let us know if you have any ideas for content or campaigns!
- Additionally, most regional coordinators have set up region-specific WhatsApp or other social media groups. Check with your coordinator to see which social media platform you can join!
- Information about the next edition of NEWSROOM will be released soon.
- If you have not received any correspondence from your respective CT member and/or are not receiving any emails from the CTBTO staff regarding events, please make sure your email is correct on the CYG Portal (https://youthgroup.ctbto.org) and that messages from [email protected] are not being forwarded to Spam.
- In addition, please remember to update your current location on the portal if you have moved since registering. This is important for ensuring you are up-to-date with opportunities in your region.
3. Recent Events
Israel and the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty: Challenges and Opportunities in Light of Recent Middle East Developments, December 19, Tel Aviv University (Israel)
Israeli CYG members, together with Tel Aviv University and the NSSC at the university of Haifa, hosted (December 19th) a panel on “Israel and the CTBT: challenges and opportunities in light of recent Middle East developments”. Panel participants were all top experts on the field, including a representatives from the CTBTO and the Israeli Atomic Energy Commission. The discussion included various perspective on the treaty and proved to be open and sincere, and this was the first event of its kind held in Israel in recent years. Video footage of the event and a written summary will be available in the next few months.The conference showed the importance of encouraging a public debate which provided a rare statement on behalf of the IAEC that the Israeli consideration of acceding the CTBT is a matter of timing (when) and not whether to do it or not (if). The CTBTO representative presented the major developments that the organization has made in the past twenty years to increase global security with no concessions or dependency to regional players. Academic experts presented their inputs on the historical and normative context of the CTBT and the modalities it should be promoted in Israel and the region.
4. Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- Pugwash Peace & Disarmament Conference, February 23, London (UK)
- European Geophyscial Union (EGU) General Assembly, April 7-12, Vienna (Austria)
- CTBTO Art Competition
- The CTBTO has launched an art campaign for grade-school students in the lead-up to SnT2019. Students aged 5-17 are encouraged to submit a drawing or painting that fits with one of three themes detailed in the enclosed pamphlet. Selected works will be displayed in an exhibition during SnT2019, and an award ceremony will take place as a side event during the conference. While many of you fall outside this age range, we encourage you to reach out to younger siblings, family members, or friends regarding this opportunity!
- 2019 CTBT Science and Technology Conference (SnT2019), June 24-28, Vienna (Austria)
- Application deadline for submission of abstracts for oral or poster presentations is 31 January 2019.
5. Recent Articles Written by (or about) CYG members
- Sylvia Mishra (India), A Happy Accident Turned into a Commitment
- Nir Hassid (Israel), Heating up the Engines - IN HEBREW
- If you have recently written an article and are a CYG member, please notify your coordinator so they can include it in the next monthly report.
6. Additional Articles on CTBT-related Topics
- Atoms for Peace: How Eisenhower envisioned ridding the world of nuclear weapons, The Dallas News
- Trump wants to grant Kim’s wishes, South Korea says ahead of new round of summits, The Washington Post
- Wheaties, breakfast of nuclear disarmament, Trib Live
- George H.W. Bush worked toward a soft nuclear landing for the dissolving Soviet Union, Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists
- UN Body Seeks Mideast WMD-Free-Zone Talks, Arms Control Association
- New Interactive Site Explores Remote Russian Nuclear Test, Middlebury Institute of International Studies
- Is North Korea Exerting 'Asymmetric Leverage' Over China?, The Diplomat
- Kremlin calls to keep Iran nuclear deal in force, TASS
7. Information and Updates About the CYG Coordination Team (CT)
- CT Members: Non-ratifying Annex 2 States:
- China - Amber Qin ([email protected]);
- Egypt - Karim Elbaz ([email protected]) ;
- India - Aditi Malhotra ([email protected]);
- Iran - Ali Shahabi ([email protected]);
- Israel - Baruchi Malewich ([email protected]); North Korea - None;
- Pakistan - Beenish Pervaiz ([email protected]);
- United States - Carlos Rodriguez-Cruz y Celis ([email protected]);
- Regional Groupings:
- Africa - Magdalene “Maggie” Wanyaga ([email protected]);
- Eastern Europe - Anastasia “Asya” Shavrova ([email protected]);
- Latin/Caribbean - Zachary Berenson Barros ([email protected]);
- Middle East/South Asia - Rana Hameed Al-Abboodi ([email protected]);
- North America/Western Europe - Sahil Shah ([email protected]);
- Southeast Asia & Pacific - Shunji Fueki, ([email protected]),
If any CYG members would like to raise any issues with the CYG Coordination Team co-chairs or their respective CT members, meetings will now be held twice per month.
Additionally, if any CYG members would like to get in touch with the CTBTO-based CYG Support Team, please email [email protected].